[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:30:31 EST

<<I  think I could do with that recipe!>>
I'm in full-blown soup mode  now....  I'll give you a wonderful recipe for
Garlic Soup which I got from  one of Jeff Smith's (the Frugal Gourmet) books --
then the chicken  one.
Place 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth,  2 Tbsps. fresh  rosemary, 1 Tbsp. fresh
oregano, 1 cup chopped parsley, and 2 tsps. fresh thyme  in a 4 quart pot.
Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1 hour.  Strain,  reserving the stock.
Discard
the cooked herbs and return the stock to the  pot.  In a small saucepan,
place 2 large heads (yes, whole heads, not  cloves) of peeled garlic cloves
with
just enough water to cover the garlic and  simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Puree the cooked garlic and liquid until  smooth.  Add to the pot of stock
along
with the wine and bring to a  simmer.  Melt 6 Tbsps. butter in a small frying
pan and stir in 1/2 cup  flour.  Cook together to form a roux.  Do not brown.
 Whisk the  roux into the hot stock until smooth and thickened.  Crush 2
garlic cloves  into the pot.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup half & half
(cream), 2 Tbsps. chopped fresh chives, salt and pepper to taste.  Serve
garnished with grated parmesan cheese.
~~~~~

Okay.   You buy a whole large chicken.  Rinse it and pull the neck, liver,
whatever  other organs are packaged iinside of it out and put them in a pot of
water with  some whole celery, garlic, carrots, and celery.  Simmer a couple
hours.  Pull out all the dead veggies and animal organs.  Save the  liquid and
put the whole chicken in.  Simmer a couple hours (this is  something you start
in the morning on a Saturday) until the meat is literally  falling off the
bone.  Remove the whole chicken and let cool, still saving  the liquid in the
same pot.  Remove all the meat from the chicken and put  back into the broth
along with whatever amount of sliced carrots and celery you  want.  Onions are
optional.  Add 3 or 4 cloves of garlic minced (or  more, to your liking), a
good
amount of grated ginger root, and 2 or 3  chicken boullion cubes.  Five
minutes before you want to serve it add  whatever type of noodle you prefer and
additional garlic, salt & pepper to  taste.
Julie Krueger
craving  soup

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The flu  Date:
11/30/04 2:46:19 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thursday, November 25, 2004, 1:44:38 AM,  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> almond slivers are  wonderful.  But then, I sit and eat boullion
cubes....

yuck!

If
Jac> you cooked much, I'd give you my awesome  recipe for home-made  from
scratch
Jac> whole fresh chicken soup,  heavily laced with ginger (good for the
sinuses) and
Jac> garlic.

I think I could do with that recipe!  I love ginger and garlic. (I  just
warmed myself up with lime pickle, but that's a bit fierce.) There are some
good
soups in the shops here, but not a good chicken one.

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx