[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:53:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I agree that in the absence of bacterial and other infections which are som=
etimes fatal or become chronic (stomach ulcers caused by bacteria for examp=
le), very often, if not usually, the body has an amazing ability to heal it=
self.  That's the line about the cold going away in 7 days if treated and a=
 week if not treated.  The immune system is amazing in what it can do.  And=
 what it can overdo in autoimmune diseases and the like, including causing =
an inflammatory response from too much fat on the body.

There was a study a few years ago where people with knee problems had "ghos=
t" surgery, i.e., they were convinced they had surgery (scar, etc.) when in=
 fact they had not.  Those people improved just as much as the ones who had=
 actual surgery.  Likewise with Parkinson's Disease.  These people's proble=
ms were intractable before the "surgeries".  Newsweek did an entire issue o=
n the mind/body connection a few months ago. =20

While I don't dispute these authors' findings, I'm sure if they're real sci=
entists they'd be the first to say that their results have to be replicated=
 and peer reviewed before they enter the mainstream as fact.

Andy Amago