[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:59:23 -0800

on 11/24/04 6:09 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> oohhh.....onion syrup sounds like a *very* good treatment.  I make a  potent
> tea with 1" piece of ginger root, water, 1/2 tsp. cayenne, 2 T fresh  lemon
> juice, honey, and 2 cloves mashed garlic.  Tell me about chelated  zirconium?
>
> Julie Krueger

You're all absolutely crackers, which I applaud.  Personally, I listen to my
wife's medical advice--but how much can a reproductive endocrinologist know
about colds--then take a hot toddy: whisky, lemon, hot water, honey, and go
early to bed.  Chicken soup with ginger is good, particularly if you add
cocoanut milk, lemon grass and tomatoes, and call in Thai.  When your throat
gets really dry, I suggest a singular and extraordinary beer, something rare
and a bit of a filip, a wee bottle of Traquair House, for example.  Costs a
fortune, but reminds one of the value of life.  Ignore all nonsense about
how alcohol depresses the immune system.  One beer or a hot toddy is good
for you; it cheers you on.  Twenty is a different matter.

By following these simple rules, washing my hands every half hour, and
carefully attending to relatives' proverbs, a person can avoid policeum
intake and chelated anything.  Which, I aver, is wise.

As an alternative, you could consider the advice of my great grandmother,
who lived on a tiny island off the West coast of Scotland: rub seaweed on
it, or, if that doesn't work, dip it in the ocean.  The interesting
question--to which Geary will undoubtedly know the answer--is which part,
when you have a cold, is it that one dips?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon