[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:53:23 +0000

Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 3:52:32 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> It's ok Robert.=20

you think we forgive him? :)

VC> Just take care of yourself.

yes indeed. =20

VC> I am thinking that the Tennessee situation is not Medicare but Medicaid.

Yes it is (I always mix them up, I had to check))-- that is, it's a "better=
 Medicaid" -- but some states seem to combine aspects of both. Here's TennC=
are:

***
The mission of TennCare is to facilitate a system of effective healthcare w=
ithin a predictable budget for Tennesseans who are Medicaid eligible or who=
 lack access to health insurance.
***=0B

VC> The Federal Government used to give the States separate amounts of money
VC> for various programs, one of which was Medicaid.  Now they took Medicaid
VC> and other programs and give one sum and since it's a significantly lower
VC> amount, it's up to the States to divide it up.  So every program gets l=
ess.
VC> Medicaid is for the very poor and handicapped rather than just the elde=
rly
VC> and orphans, which is Medicare.

VC> Also, in many States, there is an income tax that follows the same form=
ula
VC> as the Federal Income Tax.  Since the Congress has been into big time t=
ax
VC> cutting, the States collect less as well. =20

I see.  We don't have the low tax problem here (!) -- I didn't know States =
were tied to federal tax practice in that way, that's bad news.

--=20
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK  =20
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx