[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:35:54 +0000

Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 2:26:23 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Judy:Incidentally: "I don't know what you (plural) have been told about the
VC> length of the US/UK "presence" in Iraq; the head of our army, the TV tells
VC> me, said our troops will be there "for years."

VC> The story here is that UK troops will pull out a third of their army in
VC> December or January.

Interesting - and I think wrong.  Blair promised the Black Watch at Camp
Dogwood would be home for Christmas (since then, January's been mentioned), but
another regiment, now based here, will take their place. Blair is under a lot
of pressure given public opinion here (and his relative accessibility) and the
media: the family of one of the dead Black Watch soldiers, who had come to
oppose the war, laid a wreath on his doorstep. But you know Blair, he'll hold
firm (on this).

  Many of us here think that after the elections in
VC> Iraq in January, US will declare victory and send troops home.

Just as irresponsibly as we went in?

VC> I was just reading about how desperate they are for troops now though.
VC> They are calling back a guy who is 47, flew a helicopter for years.  He is
VC> going to court.  I think it won't help.

I bet they're desperate. That's why the Black Watch are where they are, and
there are 650 of them covering for 3000 US troops (we haven't got that many
spare troops either).

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx