[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:26:23 -0500

Judy:Incidentally: "I don't know what you (plural) have been told about the
length of the US/UK "presence" in Iraq; the head of our army, the TV tells
me, said our troops will be there "for years."

The story here is that UK troops will pull out a third of their army in
December or January.  Many of us here think that after the elections in
Iraq in January, US will declare victory and send troops home.

I was just reading about how desperate they are for troops now though.
They are calling back a guy who is 47, flew a helicopter for years.  He is
going to court.  I think it won't help.

Veronica

Guardian,
> VC> etc.  For TV, we watch the CBC.  Much more reliable than anything
here.
> VC> Even the NYTimes and Washington Post like to hide things several
pages in.

> Oh dear. I was hoping I was wrong. I did know lots of people in the US
read bbc and guardian online.

> VC> Actually it will be a disaster for the car companies.  Many of us who
have
> VC> worked for the auto industry and draw our health benefits from them,
> VC> in our case my husband, buy American cars.  Always.  We have three.
We
> VC> encourage our friends to do so also, and they get a discount price.
If
> VC> they renege on this, we will make it a point to never buy another
one.

> I can recommend a very good Volkswagen place in Missouri!
>
> It
> VC> will bankrupt them.  We are talking here about millions of people.
>
> I hope you do manage to do something like that.
>

> VC> My insurance comes from the state in which I live.  They are so broke
they
> VC> have cut education funding, medical care for the poor, raised taxes by
> VC> increasing user fees (park entrance, driver's license, license plates,
> VC> etc.) and we keep hearing from the Republicans, majority in both state
> VC> houses that we need more tax cuts.
>
> Sigh... there are problems here too (but our deficit is a lot
smaller)here, simply, taxes will go up if necessary.  The Tories know their
chance of winning the next election is, how shall I put it? minimal.