[lit-ideas] Re: The end?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:42:10 -0000

Paul,

The whole gist of your message is that you don't trust the scientists (and I'm
90 per cent confident of that statement). When they - the scientists - define
their use of certain statements such as 'extremely likely' down to 'extremely
unlikely' in terms of percentage probabilities surely that's a good thing.
They're making an effort to make the science understandable rather than filling
their sentences with impenetrable percentages.

That said, bear in mind that what you've read is the work of 'Working Party I'
relating to 'The Physical Science Basis'. Working Party II is concerned with
"Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability" (Due in April) and Working Party III is
concerned with "Mitigation of Climate Change" with a final draft report due on
12th February. It seems to be WPIII that would concern you most - you can see a
chapter outline here: http://www.ipcc.ch/activity/wg3outlines.pdf

It's interesting that Brian hasn't contributed to this discussion. No doubt
he'll believe it to be a UN conspiracy.

Simon