[lit-ideas] Re: The elections

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:02:00 -0500

Simon: Conversely, it's clear the Republicans didn't win...nobody cheated.

Eric: My point exactly. It says a lot about DEMs, and not the good stuff about them I prefer to support. It shows the irrational, venal, vulgar, petty, mob side of Democrats.

I mean, both sides cheat. JFK (and his dad) are thought to have rigged the '60 election, for example. Only too many Dems are whining jerkweeds in defeat. Plus when they're caught in scandals they never resign but have to be forced out. Look at that Dem Congressman from LA with all the frozen money: he's sticking in office until he gets indicted. It's so lawyerly, so definition of "is," so lacking in a guiding integrity.

That brutish, lawyerly-criminal smug, and tacky side of Democrats is what makes it most troubling for me.

Simon: Last I heard, Eric, you were a militaristic democract. Anything changed?

Eric: Nope. In Yank usage that's Democrat with a capital "D." Most of my life, I've been a Democrat, simply because I think I can trust government a little more than private business when it comes to decisions that affect the long term. I'd like to see the Dems achieve some of the intelligence and class they had in the FDR or JFK years, and not simply be bagmen for the trial lawyers association.

Other than that ... we haven't killed enough al-Qaeda lately. But that's usually the case.