[lit-ideas] Re: The elections

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:02:36 -0500

But this doesn't mean there is a Democratic agenda. I see none. The voters voted against Bush. They didn't vote for the Democrats. There is no broad agenda on social issues, the wars, etc.

After a few weeks (or just days) of feeling good, we will wake up back into the same mess: no strategy, no direction, no progress.

Andreas:
When you say there is no Democratic agenda, it means to me you haven't paid attention to what Nancy Pelosi said she's going to do in the first 100 hours. And more than those, there's a lot to reverse, correct, rewrite and reorganize from the Patriot Act to tax reform to anti-terrorism and surveillance to civil liberties to Medicare Part D. If you know anything about Democratic priorities, you know that. I can't believe you don't.

Regarding " a broad agenda on social issues," many of the new senators and house members are more conservative, some pro-gun, some anti-abortion. There's more variety in the Democratic tent. Is that something to criticize?

Regarding Iraq, the Iraq Study Group, which is made up of people like Lee Hamilton (D) and Jim Baker (R) who said he believes in "talking to his enemies," you can be sure that we'll be moving towards a diplomatic solution with Sunnis and Shiites sitting down and talking to one another.

What are you complaining about, for Christ's sake?

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>