[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:56:26 -0800

Well, see here we go again.  You make a vague statement and I respond to
what you've said.  You accuse me of being obtuse and claim I should know
what you really mean..  I in turn look back at your words and fail to see
that I have been unjust to your words.  And then the coup de grace of the
Lit-Ideas Leftists:  Why don't you go off on a wild goose chase that is sure
to take you a couple of months.  Actually, I used to go off on them years
ago thinking someone might not realize how much work is involve, but I gave
it up.

And now you say that unless I go off on this goose chase to find out
something you can't explain or describe that you will call me a hypocrite?

Is this the point where I usually brush you off, because I'm having a strong
desire to do that right now?  But I'll resist it today.  I'll help you out.
f by chance you are referring to the earlier debate which you may or may not
have been in regarding David Horowitz, Unholy Alliance, Radical Islam and
the American Left, perhaps I can simply repeat my view that Horowitz has
done some good work by drawing attention to such people as Ward Churchill.
These people side with the Islamists and oppose America on issue after
issue.

I may also have said that I've read enough of the Islamists to know what
their arguments are.  I can recognize when someone is using similar
arguments to theirs.  We don't need to go very far afield to find an
example.  Consider the following excerpt from one of today's notes: "And the
same with Islam. Your allergy towards Islam won't let you see that their
monotheism is far purer than Christianity. No trinity, no god-as-human, no
virgin births. The core ideas of Islam is what Christianity should be. Islam
was developed out of Christian and Jewish ideas from 700 AD, well after the
original Christians had restructured their ideas under Greek philosophy.

"That's why Islam was so productive in the arts and sciences from 700 to the
1400s. The idea of a purely rationalist universe (where everything is
logical and rational because Allah is

rational) encourages science and mathematics. Thus Islamic mathematicians
invented algebra. Note the "al-" in algebra? As in al-qaeda? Alcohol.
Alchemy. Algorithm. Admiral. Azimuth.

Borax. Cipher. Magazine. And the most brilliant idea of all, upon which
modern science, mathematics, business, and technlogy is built: Zero. Without
zero, no binary mathematics. No computers.

All of these come from the Arabs. Look in the mirror, Lawrence. Recognize
the Islamic influence on the West? Will you finally embrace your Inner
Muslim and welcome him to dinner?"

I've read these arguments before - not word for word but in effect.  I've
read them in Islamist writings.  I'm not making a fuss now.  Here is an
example for you if you want to disagree with me.

Lawrence

  _____