[lit-ideas] Re: The death of American Realpolitik

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

It's interesting that you don't care that we're endangering the world.  If U.S. News & World Report is printing it, it's pretty big news, don't you think?  Don't you think too that if the most precious places are endangered, what's to be said about all the rest of the world?  But most people are oblivious to what's going on with the world.  Then we marvel how the Easter Islanders could cut down their last tree.  Nobody noticed that's how.  It's interesting too that they cut the trees down for religious/political reasons.  It's the 11th Hour, remember?  And even later than that.  Never mind, I'm ranting.  Nobody cares.  We'd better move on to cheerier things, like Saddam.

Do you ever wonder Lawrence why they didn't know Saddam was so dangerous when they were equipping him in the Iran/Iraq war and standing by when he did his dirty work?  Or what they were thinking when they armed and supported OBL against the Russians in Afghanistan?  Politics make strange bedfellows and just like in every failed marriage it's always 100% the other guy's fault.  I think it's called mission myopia, isn't it?