[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 05:30:30 -0500

Explain the huh please

You wrote: "Imagine if sheep stopped worshiping money..."  For four years in
the early 50's our family raised sheep in Arkansas.  I never once saw sheep
worship anything.  They frequently bowed their heads to clover, but I don't
think they were praying.

>>Actually, sheep will do the bidding of the wolves no matter what.  They
>>always have.  It's the glee with which they do it in today's society that is
>>so disappointing.  Awaiting your explanation of the huh.<<

We didn't have wolves in Arkansas, but we had a lot of dogs come around.  I
never once saw a sheep do the bidding of dogs.  They run like hell from them.
Will run from them until they die of heart failure of heat prostration.
Trained sheep dogs can herd sheep, but that's still avoidance on the part of
the sheep, not "doing the bidding".  Perhaps though you were being
metaphorical.  In which case I think the metaphor might have gotten a bit
mangled, but that's just me and my defensiveness of sheep.

Mike Geary

Memphis