[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 23:19:33 -0500

 Hear, Hear!  Don't fuck with me, an' I won' fuck with you.  That's all
there is.  There ain't no more.  Unless
I meet that bear once more...

wishing we could restrain from fucking with everyone else, and having
heard good things about Memphisian philosophers with a practical
profession
d.

P.S.  Though that could be because I happen to agree with you; don't be
offended when I behave like an egregious hech-hchem later on in our
relationship...it's not personal

  Mike wrote:

  DW:>>If we choose to allow the restriction of others' freedoms based
  upon accordance with our own beliefs, or societal norms  Then, we
  must be willing to submit the allowance/restriction our own freedoms
  to the beliefs of others, or societal norms<< Yes, I agree.  And, of
  course, it's inevitable that freedoms will conflict, because value
  systems differ so widely.  But if you believe that the best way to
  restrict freedoms is through democratically determined means, meaning
  that all restrictions are always open to change, then there's always
  hope that restrictions you find repressive or unwarranted can be
  amended or supplanted.  The wish for a society where we could all
  just do our own thing is not likely to happen anytime soon since
  nearly everyone feels threatened by "strange" behaviors.  What's to
  be done?  Exposure to the other is the best help, I believe.  Take
  away the "strangeness".  Maybe there should be a law that everyone
  must live in a port city until they don't give a damn what anyone
  does. Mike GearyMemphis

--
See Exclusive Video: 10th Annual Young Hollywood Awards
http://www.hollywoodlife.net/younghollywoodawards2008/