[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:20:39 -0700

I don't believe that the benevolent dictator would be any more just than democracy has been. But I remain unconvinced that western democracy has been any more human(e) than Castro's communism. We place restrictions on the behaviour of our children, and of our citizens. If we agree, and I'm not saying that all of us do, that we are justified in limiting the liberty of some, we must also be willing to submit our own most cherished liberties to the will of a greater purpose, of greater persons.

If I understand you at all—and it's very possible I don't—you seem to be saying that if some people are 'restricted' in some way, some of the time, it follows that all of the people may be 'restricted' in any way at any time. This strikes me as simply a bad argument, but as I say, I may have misunderstood you.

Robert Paul