[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:41:05 -0500

I'll admit my views are extreme, and rarely fully represented.  That is
to say, I typically hold opposing views on the same subject.  Most
theoretical approches to any element of the human condition begin with
the best of intentions, then, as must unfortunately be the case, they are
implemented by human beings.  Once humans get involved, we begin to mess
things up through prejudicial application of policy and law.

I don't believe that the benevolent dictator would be any more just than
democracy has been.  But I remain unconvinced that western democracy has
been any more human(e) than Castro's communism.  We place restrictions on
the behaviour of our children, and of our citizens.  If we agree, and I'm
not saying that all of us do, that we are justified in limiting the
liberty of some, we must also be willing to submit our own most cherished
liberties to the will of a greater purpose, of greater persons.

d.

  Eric: There's a difference between (a) the individual recognition
  that
  one's actions are selfish and choosing to act differently as a result
  of
  that recognition, and (b) being told by any self-appointed authority
  that one's actions are selfish and being forced to act differently
  with
  the carrot of "moral rights" dangled in front as a consolation.

  In other words, "the greater good" is so frequently used to
  manipulate
  opinion and action, that it cannot be trusted ex cathedra.

  Remembering that the first law Hitler enacted was a ban on lobster
  pithing,
  Eric

--
See Exclusive Video: 10th Annual Young Hollywood Awards
http://www.hollywoodlife.net/younghollywoodawards2008/