[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a counterfactual

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence, I'm sure you're such a nice person.  Honestly.  You want this country to be post WWII again in the worst way and it's not and all the wishful thinking in the world isn't going to put it back.  We were on top of the world when we had the moral high ground.  All the rest fell into place around that.  We were the leading manufacturer, leading creditor, leading oil exporter.  Then we slid in the 1950's with Eisenhower and it's been downhill ever since.  Today we're negative or irrelevant on everything, and even worse, today getting along with someone means arming them to only to find out later they're dangerous and starting a war against them.  This is realpolitik?

A problem, Lawrence, is that not just you but all Americans want to live in 1960.  Unfortunately, like Rip Van Winkle we sleepwalked our way through the decades of our power.  We thought dysfunctional behavior (greed, arming ourselves and others)  taken to the nth degree was the way it was done.  Well, we did it and here we are and it's all Saddam's fault.  And now he's dead and nothing much has changed.

If you want a strong country Lawrence, the thing we desperately need to do is find energy, real quick.  The ole King isn't coming up with it, and jet fighters don't fly without it and Humvees don't run without it, not to mention your car or mine.  We also need to husband water like crazy and we're wasting the same as ever.

Realpolitik is reality.  It's living in today, not in 1960.  Reality is energy, it's water, it's food, it's balance of trade and sustainability.  Reality is photosynthesis without which we're dead.  It's, yes, building nuclear power plants for electricity because we're so out of alternatives.  Horsing around with Iran and Iraq is distracting from all this and wasting time and energy.  Iraq is a huge hole in the bottom of our ship and we're sitting around thinking about the time when the hole wasn't there even as we throw more time and money and energy into it.  If we worked on sustainability we'd get back on the moral high ground, we'd create jobs, we'd become much less energy dependent.  And that's exactly what we're not doing.

BTW, Brazil may have become energy self sufficient in part by producing ethanol from sugar cane, but to do that it has to destroy huge swaths of rain forest.  In the end that only creates more problems.