[lit-ideas] Re: The beginning of the end in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:12:18 -0400

Andy:  Maybe we're all talked out about Iraq.

Eric: I was merely trying to provide evidence that the army isn't all used up and that you were overreacting to claim that the army was terminally degraded. If you read beneath the lines, Pace was talking about defending South Korea from a North Korean attack.

I mentioned defending South Korea in my post. However, wanting one Asian nation to be able to survive an attack from another Asian nation strikes Andreas as racist.

Forgot the (elided) chain of (let's call it) thought: Andreas thinks we can't win --> so I must be thinking for General Pace and believe we would resort to nukes ---> so I relish nuking Asians --> so I am a racist.

Point is that we wouldn't nuke North Korea unless it nuked South Korea, and even then we would hesitate because of China's response. The only case where would unhesitatingly nuke North Korea is if it nuked us first. (I assume if North Korea nuked Britain, France, or Russia, those countries would also counterstrike.)