[lit-ideas] Re: The bad old days of humour...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:13:34 -0800

You remind me of even badder old days and Kipling:

My son was killed while laughing at some jest.  I would I knew
What it was, and it might serve me in a time when jests are few.

Faber and Faber have published a book, "101 Poems Against War." This is in it. I have no patience for Kevin Kline tonight, good though he is in "Cyrano de Bergerac" on channel ten. My daughter has climbed Masada, like a Roman or a tourist. The rest of the day is Dead Sea and camels. She is out of missile range, but will return to Jerusalem. She is not a Palestinian. She can come home.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon