[lit-ideas] The bad old days of humour...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:23:08 -0500

This is a tale about two less-than-brilliant countrymen who hired a boat and went fishing. The men caught some fine fish. When they were going home, one said to the other, "How are we going to make our way back to that wonderful fishing place again?" The second said, "I thought of that -- I marked the boat with chalk!" "You fool!" said the first. "That's no good. Supposing next time they give us a different boat?"

This was a Polish joke when I was a child on the south side of Chicago.
Then it was a Newfie joke here in Canada.
Here I've found it on a Sufi story page (interestingly, without a slur on some minority or neighboring country or provincial outpost). My mother is from Northern Germany and she remembers this kind of joke about the Frieslanders. Ah...the days when you could tell a good Polish joke. And only sticks and stones could break their bones...

Happy, sunny New Year to all,
Ursula