[lit-ideas] The arrogance of Americans and Marlene Dietrich

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:00:37 -0700

David

After posting my note I realized I had made a mistake in it.  I was only six
when World War II broke out and so even less likely to know what "ty-ty"
means.  Maybe Robert Paul who is much older and wiser will know.  If I had
to guess, I would say it might be a contraction of "hoity-toity."  The sense
of what you quoted would permit hoity-toity - sort of.

I've continued to read Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn, The War in North
Africa, 1942-1943.  It would have been a thorough-going disaster for the
Americans if they had been going up against the Germans instead of the
French.  On paper it looks like a successful invasion, but almost everything
went wrong.  Our boats got lost.  Our landing craft got lost.  They ran into
each other.  They mistook French locations for American and got captured or
killed.  They insisted on believing that the French were our friends even
when they were shooting at us.   One commander after hearing many doubts
from his troops about being able to shoot Frenchmen told them to pretend
they were Japanese.

One British General suspected the Americans would be no good against the
French because Americans have an exalted view of them.  They all want to go
to Paris when they die.

The logistics were another disaster.  The boats were loaded all wrong.
When Americans finally did get ashore, strewn out for miles and having
difficulty finding each other, they had even more difficulty finding what
they needed from the heavily laden ships and the navy which had difficulty
unloading the supplies onto the docks while the seas picked up and the
U-boats approached.  Besides, during the battles, the French sabotaged the
docks quite a bit.

The Americans were extremely inept in North Africa and were only saved by
the fact that they were going up against forces that had recently been inept
against the Germans and hadn't improved themselves after getting to North
Africa - except for the French Foreign Legion which was probably never
inept.  The Americans underestimated them and paid for it.

So the British were right to doubt the American can-do confidence.  You
Americans think you can land in France and back up the Germans to Berlin?
Why don't you try out a few Vichy French-men first and see how you do?

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto