[lit-ideas] Re: The advantage of indeterminism

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:07:40 -0800

On Feb 19, 2015, at 9:04 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

>            And nights with witches rending
>             Our hypotheses with sniggers,
>             Dying away perhaps but

I was tripped up here and had to go back; my first reading had the hypotheses
dying away.  The rest grabs me.

We suppress the echoes of critics in order to brighten our caves with creation,
but paying attention to their attenuation, from time to time, gives the 'umble
scribbler a sense of how low in the grand order of things is his station.
Which prevents uppertiness.

Did you see what Oliver Sacks wrote?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opinion/oliver-sacks-on-learning-he-has-terminal-cancer.html?&assetType=opinion

David Ritchie,