[lit-ideas] Re: The Writing of Poetry

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:34:20 -0400

A.A.  No, just the quoted line.

D.R. Of this particular line?

A.A. Yes.

>Maybe I lost you with all the
> references to P.G.Wodehouse who, of course, not everyone has read?

A.A.  So you're saying P.G. Wodehouse wrote about cliffs and bears?   That
would explain the reference.  I have in fact only a passing familiarity
with P.G. Wodehouse.  His stories were broadcast on PBS a while ago.  They
were good, a bit frothy for my taste.  He seems to have an affected quality
that smacks of fantasy, given how amazingly down to earth the English
aristocracy is (divorces, affairs, eating disorders, domestic violence, and
on and on).  PGW is life the way it ought to be, or as he imagined it to
be.  I prefer reality, even if the Queen would no doubt prefer PGW.

Cheerios,
Princess I