[lit-ideas] Re: The World Ends

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:36:52 -0400

Donal: Alright, Oasis are no Beatles. But what?
Again you're just putting nothing on the table.

I'm putting my head on the table and letting my
arms dangle freely. In truth, I have never heard
of Oasis.

The end of the world probably happened
before the Japanese PM's wife was abducted by
aliens. We are the cybernetic replacements for all
the humans that the aliens transported to their
home planet, which, to the horror of many,
resembles northeastern Kentucky, i.e., Mordor with
shopping malls. Meanwhile here we are, like some
freakish Cartesian experiment, artificially living
the real lives of real people who have been
transported millions of light years away.

Reminds me of John Crowley's _Aegypt_. I wonder
how he's enjoying the interstellar Kentucky.