[lit-ideas] The Woolf and the Ouse

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:26:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2004 12:25:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
a wry  smiler--and
we shared what Virginia Wolfe once called a "squat bottle,"  though it may in
fact have been slenderer than  that.

-----

Oddly, it's spelled 'Woolf'. I understand it was Anglo-Jewish, hence the
meaning -- Anglo-Jewish surnames _have_ meanings, usually animals, or bits of
nature.

I am reading a book on the English Channel (_The English Channel_ by Nigel
Calder), and mentions Newhaven, which I understand is the mouth of the Ouse,
where Virginia Woolf threw herself to commit suicide. I wonder where exactly
her  corpse was found. I understand her cottage was not far from the Channel,
so
 perhaps the waters carried the corpse downstream to it?

There are some good references in _The Hours_ -- novel and script -- but I
don't have them with me right now.

Cheers,

JL