[lit-ideas] Re: The Welfare State vs the Individual

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:07:24 -0400

LH: It is a fact that the Welfare State theory would provide more control over its citizens more than that provided by the practice of the U.S. form of government.

Isn't this more of an end-user question? If the end-user of government is more like Mike, who perhaps would like to spend more time writing and visiting with his grandchildren, then the question of the degree of control is unimportant. If the end-user seeks to avoid government regulations and pursue an ambitious scheme to develop wind farms or hydroculture, then the degree of control is important.

In other words, isn't liberty defined by what the end-user wants? Similarly, doesn't government control mean different things to a business owner and an academic?

Yesterday I wanted to cash a check at a local bank where I am vacationing. I went to their drive-through window, the bank having just closed. The woman at the window told me that she could not cash my check because I wasn't in a car. In other words, if I had rented a car, driven to the window, she could cash the check. But for insurance/legal reasons, the fact that I was on foot prevented her from honoring the transaction.

As a pedestrian end-user I wanted the liberty to cash a check, but instead had to deal with the control regulations imposed by past litigation. If I were a car-owning end-user, I'd have the liberty of getting pocket change, and the control imposed on pedestrians would have been invisible to me.