[lit-ideas] The Way of the Martyrs

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:19:13 EST

I'm reading about some of the Christian authors in the Loeb,
and for some reason:

*   most were Romanized or Hellenized.
    At an early stage.
    I.e. they were imbued with the Classical  Tradition.

*  Then for some reason they hear of "Christ".
    and they become, in Graeco-Roman terms, 'heathen'.

*  Therefore, as a matter of social hygiene they
    had to be killed.

*  For some reason, they almost always find
   time before this, to fill pages and pages and
   pages and pages of theological doctrine for
   Loeb.

*  and then they die.

---- The question here is:

-- Apparently, mostly were killed rather savagely. If you can share the
death of your
favourite martyr with me, I'll enjoy that as proof that God is eternal and
that
the Greek and The Roman Empire was _bound_ to decline and fall.

Cheers,

    J. L. Speranza
               B A, A