[lit-ideas] The Warnocks -- and the Grices

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:02:53 EST

"My point precisely -- that is, you illustrate precisely the attitude I had
in
mind.
The surveys I mentioned come, I should have explained, from  organizations
allegedly working for older people's welfare.  Yet they  seek to ask what
(more) older people can do for 'the environment' while also  being concerned,
allegedly anyway, with the effects on older people of the  environment in
which they live.  (But they do not use the term in that  context, presumably
being of the 'environment'=little furry animals  tendency.)
Incidentally, you mean the late Ned Sherrin, who may or may not  have
indexed unindexed books to keep himself useful (just as Mary Warnock  may
not follow her own precept and off herself before she becomes a  burden
on society.... )"

----

Thanks Judy.

Will check the link.

Mary Warnock apparently had a very sad of her life when her husband (and
close collaborator
of H. P. Grice), Oxford Vice-Chancellor and Head of Hartford, G. J.  Warnock,
died after
a terrible fight with throat cancer.

He (and Grice) were something of chain-smokers.

It is pathetic to read some of the last days of H. P. Grice. Being _only_
75, but burdened
with some diseases, he (I believe) felt it as a _relief_ when he  died.

His widow would say that once he realised he could not engage in creative
philosophy, his energy to live was over.

I disagree, but see Mrs. Grice's point.

Cheers,

JL