[lit-ideas] Re: The Village

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:44:19 EST

<<I  have seen most of it, but I just couldn't bring myself to sit through it

all. It's HORRIBLE. Shyamalan started at the top and has constantly fallen
with each successive film. "the village" is so ploddingly and deliberately
spooky that it's a parody of an M. Night Shyamalan -- unfortunately, it's
BY HIM!>>
I didn't find it a bit spooky.   I didn't think it attempted to be spooky.  I
found it gently, deliberately,  and aesthetically mystical, and an
interesting look at  the  relationship between spirituality & religion;  a look
at human
morality  through the lens of attempted utopias.  But then, my 13 yr. old
tells me  I'm weird.  She loved the film.  She found it "jumpy", but enjoyed
the
unexpected "twist".  OTOH, she, my husband, and myself watched Sixth Sense
(Shyamalan) together a while back and she and I knew in the first five minutes
what was going on. My husband was appropriately shocked by the  ending.   Re.
Shyamalan, I have not seen "Signs" or been tempted to,  and "Unbreakable" was
god-awful.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Village
Date: 2/13/05 4:48:36 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:
At 08:31 PM 2/12/2005, you wrote:
>Please  raise you're hand if you've seen it.
I have seen most of it, but I just  couldn't bring myself to sit through it
all. It's HORRIBLE. Shyamalan  started at the top and has constantly fallen
with each successive film. "the  village" is so ploddingly and deliberately
spooky that it's a parody of an  M. Night Shyamalan -- unfortunately, it's
BY  HIM!

Paul  Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON