[lit-ideas] The UN Resolution on Lebanon

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:39:29 -0700

Omar:

Thanks for another example of a Leftist supporting Militant Islam.  Your
Jonathan Cook is really into it -- quite a lot of venom directed at Israel.
I missed your comment, Omar.  Do you agree with this guy?  There isn't an
argument or any facts in this missive that I can see, just a lot of anger
and vitriol.  Some of it is funny, e.g., the idea that Israel is making up a
fake story about Iran's support of Hizbollah so it can eventually attack
Iran.  You can be sure that the US would have attacked Iran by now if it was
actively supplying a paramilitary force attacking the US.  I admire Israel's
restraint.

As opposed to Jonathan Cook, here is an article describing the "Main Points
of the Draft of the Security Council Resolution" as of two days ago:
<http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/747033.html>
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/747033.html .  Notice that it is
suspected that Hizbollah won't live up to this agreement which is after all
between a government which cannot control Hizbollah and a government which
has been attacked by Hizbollah.  It demands that Hizbollah quit its attack
but it allows Israel to defend itself.

And here is a recent article on events associated with the UN Resolution:
<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207454,00.html>

Israel has been attacked a number of times over the years of its existence
by nations which deny its right to exist.  It has taken the prudent step of
retaining buffers (after driving the enemy away after the enemy's attack
failed) against future attacks.  They are saying they will give up their
buffer in Lebanon if a trustworthy force is in place to prevent further
Hizbollah attacks.  They would be foolish to trust Lebanon to take sole
responsibility for holding Hizbollah at bay since Lebanon doesn't have that
capability.  Iran, Syria, Hizbollah and other anti-Israeli forces that deny
Israel's right to exist demand that it leave its Lebanese buffer without any
trustworthy guarantee.  The chance of that is near zero, and rightfully so.

Lawrence