[lit-ideas] Re: The Triumph of Jeff Bezos

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:21:00 -0700

On Jul 18, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/borders-says-its-liquidating-shutting-399-stores-2011-07-18-1634200
>
> And then there was one—? Actually, Barnes & Noble are still in business.

Books?  Who bothers with those any more?

Well the news is that many people on the plane on the way home yesterday had
brought with them examples of this old-fashioned technology.  But e-readers
were much in evidence also.

To take our minds off the coming end of Civ. as we k. it (as Bertie Wooster
might say), let us look forward to National Lamington Day on Thursday.  N.L.D.
is described by one correspondent thus, "Holiday in honour of one of
Australia's favorite desserts...  Named in honor of Charles Baillie, 2nd Baron
Lamington, who served as Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901.  Apparently
ol' Charles didn't even like the dessert created in his honor, calling them
“those bloody poofy woolly biscuits!”

I have been unable to discover whether Australia's other favorite desserts also
get holidays.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon