[lit-ideas] Re: The Terrorist next door

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:28:48 -0700

Chandia's parole hearings might not go well for him -- if he is expected to
show remorse.

Lawrence

Ali Asad Chandia

  _____

By Jim Roberts
Aug 27, 2006

Ali Asad Chandia, a Maryland teacher, has been sentenced to 15 years in
prison for lending aid to a Pakistani terrorist organization.  The sentence
was handed down on Friday.

Chandia, 29, who taught at the Al-Huda School in College Park, was convicted
in June on three counts of providing material support in what prosecutors
called a scheme by Islamic extremists to use force to drive India out of the
disputed Kashmir territory in South Asia.

A federal jury acquitted him of a fourth count of supporting terrorists,
reports AP.

***

Prosecutors alleged that the network involved a group of men who played
paintball in the Virginia woods in 2000 and 2001 as a means of training for
global holy war.  Chandia was found guilty of serving as a driver for the
Lashkar officer, Mohammed Ajmal Khan, and helping Lashkar ship 50,000
paintball pellets from the U.S. to Pakistan.

The jury did not convict Chandia of attending a Lashkar camp, but it found
him guilty of providing material support to a senior Lashkar officer on his
trips to the U.S. in 2002 and 2003.

He was the last of 11 convicted "Virginia jihadists" to be sentenced to
terms ranging from 46 months to life.

***

At the sentencing hearing before U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton, he
maintained his innocence and pledged to exact revenge against prosecutors in
the afterlife, saying that "those who participated in making my children
orphans ... should just remember that the day of judgment is on the way."

He added "If my parents should die before me, I ask my mother to plead and
complain to Allah that a piece of her heart was taken away because of some
toy paintballs."

***

He also said he would exact revenge against prosecutors in the afterlife,
reports AP.

--Jim Roberts with wire reports