[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:37:25 -0600

Brian:
>>This paragraph reaches a level of absurdity that is stupefying.  <<

You think?  I don't see it.  If a man has never had any wide, first hand
experience with Islam, has never lived in the Middle East, has no concept of
what Islam means to those who live it, has only "book" knowledge from books
written by Westerners with an anti-Islamist agenda, do you really think it is
absurd to believe that such a man should be considered ignorant of Islamism?
If a man talks for 4 years about the evils of Islam without once managing to
find one favorable thing in the religion, do you really think it's absurd to
believe that he's bigoted against that religion?  Do you really believe that
such a man should be listened to as having something meaningful to say about
Islam?  I don't see it.

>>Mike, tell me, is it difficult to type with your index fingers pressed firmly
>>into each of your ears?<<

Oh, I'm hearing it all,  don't you worry.  And what I'm hearing is a continued
conflation of a religion with political terrorists.  I wonder when Lawrence
will start calling for a Crusade against Greece.

Mike Geary
Memphis