[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Sidgwick' Problem

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:33:12 -0230

What is this? A parliamentary democracy!? While heads definitely count in
matters of truth, and while heads have been known to roll in the pursuit of
truth wherever it leads, truth itself permits of no headcounts.

But if we are to vote, it behooves me to mention that one Professor Henry E.
Allsion, author of the critically acclaimed *Kant's theory of freedom*
consistently writes "Sidgewick" in his book. And that was what I was reading
last just before posting on the Sidgewick affair.

Now it is true that he mentions the name only once in his text, and the only
other appearance of the name is in the index.  But the latter, too, is spelled
"Sidgewick." So there is corroboration of sorts.

Korsgaard, Hill, Silber and Martha (Henry's mother) write "Sidgwick." And in 3
editions of *Methods of Ethics", the author's name appears as "Sidgwick."

And so, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I put it to you: What would a man of
right reason conclude on the basis of such evidence?

Walter O.
Chair and Secretary
Department of Eristics and Eros
Universitaet Bishofshoffen