[lit-ideas] Re: The Shape of Fear

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:58:41 -0500

Following David's lead, I asked a medical doctor (Internal Medicine/ NY Presbyterian Hospital) about the bird flu. I received this reply:

If a pandemic occurs, we will not be able to fight it. We lack medication, facilities, and adequate vaccine. Some measure of prevention is possible, but having the media discuss the potential pandemic every day serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

So why are we popularizing the potential harm from bird flu? What are we alerting the population against?

Creating panic might be a way to make Roche very wealthy; panic will sell Tamiflu. Otherwise, this type of "public education" has little value.