[lit-ideas] Re: The Sect of the Phoenix

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:05:19 EDT

More on the sect of the phoenix. This time from a book on  Borges by G. Bell:

"a mysterious set whose sole bond ... is an unmentionable  'secret', a simple
ritual, that is "trivial, momentary, and does not require  description".

cf. My Secret Life -- but how he describes it!

"In case there are doubts [that the secret is 'the sex act']  Borges onc
etold Ronald Christ,

            'the  act is what Whitman says,
                      'the divine husband knows, from the work of fatherhood".

(Christ, p. 190).

I believe it is Daniel Balderston -- in an essay which he give  me
photocopied and I believe I have misplaced -- entitled, "Fecal Dialectic" and
deals
with Borges's sexual 'adventures' -- that a more narrow interpretation is
given
for the kind of 'sex act' involved.

I believe Balderston's essay is found online, should  check.

JLS