[lit-ideas] Re: The Saga of Jenny

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:00:18 EDT

"in twenty-five languages she  couldn't say no"
                       ('Jenny')

We are discussing

    STONE: Do you mind if I sit here?
    PERSON: Sure.

Stone writes:

>I  know WHY they do it, but it STILL pisses me off.
>I agree with this. Yes.  I sure do. It's GOT to be that. Yes. Yes I do, Yes.
>Uh Huh. You bet!  That's affirmative Rampart. Darn Tootin'. Oh
>yeaaaaaaaaaah! I  concur.

Mine  was an 'implicature'-based explanation. There's a more elaborate
syntax-based  explanation (put forward by Geary in _Papers in Foreign
Languages_,
State  University of Memphis, Summer School, Paris).

In  Geary's view, the underlying ("deep structure") of the erotetic
formulation:

       "do you mind if I sit here"  (raising intonation)

involves a 'phrastic' of _aseverative_ illocutionary force, to  wit:

       "I sit here"

If the person replies,

      "No"

someone "not very versed in Chomsky's transformational syntax", Geary puts
it, may take the "no" to apply to that phrastic:

     "No. Don't sit here"

The ability to apply the negation-operator to the higher-superordinate
clause requires some degree of metapsychical processes that have
'conventionalized
to nil', Geary regrets.

The sad thing, Geary, notes is that the initial questioner may _actually_
take the 'no' as applying to 'can I sit there?' and proceed accordingly: _sit_
and feel bad about it (when it's sit and feel good about it). "Life."

Cheers,

JL