[lit-ideas] Re: The Rise & Fall of Somalia's Islamic Courts: An Online History (The Fourth Rail)

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:07:12 -0800

Phil:

You might be annoyed that I didn't find your expressions self-authenticating
but 'tis the nature of dialogue, sir.  We are never ever understood as well
as we think we ought to be.

See, here is dialogue at work:  You don't understand that "assumption" is
one of the synonyms for "premise," and I am happy to explain that to you.
Sometimes in such discussions I also use the words "presupposition" or
"presumption" depending upon the context.

"Logical Assumption" is a common term.  Perhaps it isn't as precise as
others terms we might use.  It is the antithesis of "Fallacious assumption."
It means an assumption in a Logical argument.  The Moral Equivalent
adherents have not produced "Logical assumptions" - they have not produced
premises to support their conclusions about Moral Equivalence - they have
not produced an argument in which there are premises or assumptions of such
a nature as to demand their "Moral-Equivalence" conclusions.

The argument you present as being in defense of Moral Equivalence doesn't
serve the current purpose.  I discussed something close to that some time
ago in regard to the idea of the "enemy."  Namely, that since the Militant
Islamics have a set of arguments that demand that they kill infidels.  And
we have a set of arguments that demand that we defend ourselves against
people trying to kill us.  There is no point in wasting time over trying to
make these arguments mesh.  We should simply understand that the people
trying to kill us are "enemies."  Even though equivalent arguments can be
produced, those wishing to kill us are not the same as us and we are not the
same as them.  This doesn't mean that we are neutralized and prevented from
acting in accordance with our own prnciples because we can't make the
arguments meld.  We have a set of standards that they violate.  It is wrong
from our perspective for them to kill us.  It is quite right in accordance
with our standards that we should defend ourselves against those trying to
kill us.  The fact that those trying to kill us have equivalent believes
ought not to confuse us.  We are mutual enemies.  We shall be trying to kill
each other off and on for years to come.  We should understand that.

So you intended an attack on me in your original note.  Well, I missed that
as well.  I'm afraid your comments haven't dissuaded me from the belief that
those advancing "Moral Equivalence" schemes are deficient in an
understanding of logical argument.  I believe the Moral-Equivalence concept
originated on the Left during the Cold War.  The ME adherents believed there
was no moral difference between the Communists and those fighting the
Communists.  They were the same morally.  There was no right or wrong in
this because the Communists thought they were right and so did the West.  I
have no problem with part of this concept for it is certainly true that the
Communists and the West both thought they were right, just as it is
presently true that Militant Islamics and Westerners both think they are
right.  But a difficulty arises when someone uses Moral Equivalence to imply
that it is immoral of us to operate in accordance with our own standards.  I
don't believe they can demonstrate this logically.

Lawrence