[lit-ideas] Re: The Rise & Fall of Somalia's Islamic Courts: An Online History (The Fourth Rail)

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:53:48 +0900

On 1/6/07, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 The point I wanted to
make was that certain assumptions rule out the possibility of making moral
judgments.  If I assume that one's upbringing causes a person to act in a
particular manner, I cannot hold that person morally responsible for
acting
in that manner.  To be morally responsible for one's actions necessarily
entails that one can act otherwise.  If one's upbringing causes one to act
in particular ways, then one cannot have acted otherwise.  Therefore,
there
is no possibility of making moral judgments.  To be clear, it isn't that
one
is not clever enough to articulate a moral judgment, but rather that there
are no grounds for such a judgment.

This is, in my opinion, a clear and eloquent exposition of a point with
which I totally agree.

But, switching subjects if I may, while using Google to search for the
writings of Phil Enns I came across a reference to a paper titled ""Doing
What One Means: *Wittgenstein* on *Ritual*" by Phil Enns (Toronto School of
Theology). If the paper is available and could be e-mailed (or snail-mailed)
to me, I would like to read it. I can offer in exchange an offprint of
"Negotiating with Demons: The Uses of Magical Language" published in
American Ethnologist (1995) in which you might be interested.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN