[lit-ideas] Re: The Rise & Fall of Somalia's Islamic Courts: An Online History (The Fourth Rail)

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:42:11 -0400

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"Rather than go off on a tangent, why not show how those who accuse Eric of
being morally equivalent to terrorists have a logical argument?"

That would be your particular interest, and more power to you.  But it isn't
my interest and I feel no compuction for branching a thread off in the
direction of my interests.

Lawrence concludes:

"I understand there is an illogical position, the one described above, and I
think I understand it well enough to see its illogicality.  I do understand
it."

One standard I use for determining whether I understand a position other
than my own is whether I can rephrase the position and my interlocutor
agrees that is what they believe.  You didn't do so well in my case and from
what I gather your success rate with others on this list is no better.

But we all have our personae on this list and there is nothing wrong with
that.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven, NS