[lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:12:32 -0400

Back in the early '80s. when I was in an appropriate technology craze, reading Coevolution Quarterly magazine and following the Whole Earth Catalog crew, I was very interested in underground houses with passive solar heating (built into south side of sloping hill or mountain). As I recall, the problem with those was constant moisture seepage. It was proposed to remedy this with a polymer foam that would seal the underground homes. Then it was discovered that the polymer foam was carcinogenic. I wonder if that problem has ever been addressed.

Eric