[lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:53:13 -0400

> [Original Message]
> From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 7/14/2005 11:07:24 AM
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk
>
> Andy is looking for something like this
> http://www.smeguk.com/Inglese/FA561XF.asp

The appliance pictured on the above web page is very much like what is
customary here.  Bob Villa's model had separate units standing next to each
other virtually contiguously. Space saving it wasn't, but space isn't an
issue in some of today's ostentatiously big kitchens.

Andy Amago

> Speaking of Swedish houses, IKEA is into building
> whole house nowadays. At first I thought this means
> getting a plan, and a delivery of one hundred thousand
> parts half of which don't appear in the plan, and one
> million esoteric screws which do not fit the parts,
> for the genuine IKEA experience. But, these are actual
> houses built by Skanska, a big Scandinavian
> construction company.
>
> See, BoKlok.Com. For some reason to UK portion of the
> site is very sparse on detail, so I'll link to Finnish
> side of it.
>
> If we forget for a while that this is IKEA after all,
> the concept of mass designed apartment complete with
> furniture is interesting. There have been experiments
> like this, I've always wanted one of those plastic
> moveable dwellings that look life UFOs, but the
> difference is they've actually built a few of these.
> (There are a few in Helsinki area.)
>
> Architechturally, they are kind of interesting.
> Exterior plan (see
> http://www.boklok.com/finland/pihapiiri.html, from
> Finnish section of the site) is a complete rip off
> from the kind of tightly built wooden town-housess
> popular up North around turn of the century (for a
> Helsinki example, compare the picture from Puu-Käpylä

http://www.tampere.fi/tiedotus_v/vuores/kuvat/valokuvat/puukapyla2_helsinki.
jpg