[lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:13:03 -0400

On This Old House Bob Villa once did a show on a Swedish house, new
construction.  It was not unlike American houses.  One thing that was
different, though, which I thought very sensible, was that instead of one
appliance consisting of both refrigerator and freezer (whether side by side
or top/bottom), their kitchen featured a full freestanding freezer and a
matching full freestanding refrigerator, located next to each other, the
way we do with washers and dryers.  I don't know if that configuration is
standard in all Swedish kitchens or if it was unique to this particular
showcase house.  Even though American kitchens have grown along with
American credit card balances and American waistlines, the single unit
refrigerator/freezer is still standard, no matter how big or how modern the
kitchen.  They're not shown in stores or in the gotta-have-it TV design
shows.  That seems odd to me.

Andy Amago