[lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:01:52 -0400

90 %
> of the time, though, Memphians wouldn't know a heat pump from a
telephone.
> With ground-based or water-based heat pumps, they'd never know.  So it
all
> depends.
>
> You can't retrofit conventional air conditioning systems with heat pumps,
> you can only replace them.

For heating I use oil.  I just prepaid my fuel company for next year's fuel
oil.  I also installed a new furnace three years ago, so for better or
worse, I'm committed to oil.  My house has southern exposure, so I get a
natural offset with passive solar heat, not to mention that there's
something delightful in having a house flooded with sunlight in the winter.
I thought about installing solar panels but the cost/benefit wasn't there
at the time.  Maybe as oil gets more expensive it might be worth it.
Regarding air conditioning, by the end of summer I like to feel as if I've
had a summer.  I therefore use the a/c pretty sparingly.  It helps that my
house is organically cool, lots of windows, patio door, ceiling fans. It's
why I shovel my own snow instead of having it plowed.  Especially after
dark, with the moonlight on the snow and the wind in the trees, sometimes I
do more than necessary just to stay outside.  I even get a kick out of
mowing the lawn in hot weather. It's either that or roller coaster rides
and cotton candy.  A no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

> I'd be happy to do that for you.

I appreciate the offer, but for the foreseeable future a fuel pump isn't in
the cards.  I would love to have you do it if anything changes.

Andy Amago