[lit-ideas] Re: The Refrigerator Lady Steps Away From Her Desk

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:39:32 -0500

Andy Amago:

I was under the impression that heat pumps are effective where winters are
not severe.

Yes, that's true, air-to-air heat pumps are most efficient in mild climates. But they'll work in any environment. Ground-based heat pumps -- where the condenser piping is buried in the ground -- take advantage of the fact that at a certain depth the earth temperatures remain a constant 50 or so degrees -- great for both heating and cooling. It you live shoreline around a large lake, you can take advantage of deeper water coolness as well. Seattle had many water-based heat pumps -- "many" meaning I'd never seen any before. Seattle has a mild maritime climate and heat pumps are ideal there. Air to air heat pumps in places like Memphis where the temperature can vary from below zero to over a hundred degrees Farenheit fare less well with heat pumps, but since almost air conditioners here are designed for 95 degree max, systems just can't keep up with the heat load in temps over that. 90 % of the time, though, Memphians wouldn't know a heat pump from a telephone. With ground-based or water-based heat pumps, they'd never know. So it all depends.

You can't retrofit conventional air conditioning systems with heat pumps, you can only replace them.

I'd be happy to do that for you.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 7/15/2005 6:14:08 PM

> I don't see the problem, I mean they make floating house out of ferroconcrete so why not those? Anyway, that is passe, what you do knowadays is that you install a thermal heat pump that draws the heat from the ground do you don't have to built it underground. Quite common here actually, I've got couple friends who have installed those and it works fine. It's basicly a fridge in reverse after all.

I was under the impression that heat pumps are effective where winters are
not severe. I would have thought Finland's weather would make a heat pump
not useful during the main part of the winter. Here, alternatives such as
heat pumps and solar heating are becoming more popular but still far in the
minority. They're expensive to retrofit.

Andy Amago

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland