[lit-ideas] Re: The Reality of Our Image

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:22:32 EST

What's your take on Asia Times?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Reality of
Our Image  Date: 2/28/2007 5:12:07 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_omarkusto@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I do appreciate the fact that, on this  occasion,
Lawrence was willing to listen and pay attention. He
sometimes  is, more so than some others here. On the
other hand, one should keep in mind  the caution that I
expressed before that some of these newspapers  are
government-controlled (or at least,
government-supervised) and so they  may not accurately
reflect the majority attitudes in those countries.
This  will be the case notably with the Saudi Arab News
and also with Pakistan's  Daily Times. Lebanon's Daily
Star is pretty much independent I think  (although
there are limits to what they would publish, but they
did  publish articles critical of the Hezbollah) and
perhaps also the Dubai Gulf  News (somewhat too
pro-American for my taste actually). Egypt's  Al-Ahram
is government-controlled but sometimes dares to
publish articles  moderately critical of the government
and the Middle East Times does although  it sometimes
gets into trouble with the government. So it's shades
of grey  so to speak. Most of these newspapers, except
perhaps the Saudi, are secular  in outlook; my post did
not include the moderate or liberal Islamist  websites
since I posted these before when that was the  subject.

O.K.

--- John McCreery  <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Lawrence  Helm
> <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >  When I got to the Daily Times from Pakistan,  an
> article by Rasul Bkhsh Rais
> > really impressed me. I sent  him an email.   You
> can see his response below.
> > I  thank Omar for his web sites.   And I must
> confess that I had  Dinesh
> > D'Souza's thesis in mind, namely that American
>  Conservatives ought to reach
> > out to Islamic Traditionalists.   I don't know
> whether Rasul is a secular
> > moderate or one of  the Traditionalists that
> D'Souza had in mind, but it's
> > hard  not to be encouraged by his response.
> >

> Reaching out  is what it's all about. Good job,
> Lawrence.
>
>  John
>
> --
> John McCreery
> The Word Works, Ltd.,  Yokohama, JAPAN
> Tel. +81-45-314-9324
>  http://www.wordworks.jp/

>  To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub,
> vacation  on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
>  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

______
Never  miss an email again!
Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail  arrives.
http://www.aol.com.