[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 04:17:17 EST

I think I'm going with the long version <g>.  I once owned the  book .....
about the time dinosaurs roamed the earth .... and have no idea what  happened
to it.  It's obviously high time I replaced it.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of
Evil  Date: 3/10/06 1:13:56 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
_JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxxx (mailto:JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx)  wrote:
Okay, I'm going to have trouble here trying to refer to what I want to
because my memory seems to have gone into a black hole somewhere.   There's a
book
written (I THINK) by Elie Weisel, the title of which I have no  clue at the
moment.  The essence of the book is that a group of Rabbis  hold a court of
sorts; they put God on trial, after the Holocaust.  They  level charge after
charge against Him for his recklessness with human lives,  etc.  When the trial
is
over they put on their prayer shawls and  pray.  If someone recognizes this
elusive tale I'd love to know it so I  can read it again.  But the point is,
that after putting God on trial,  the next response is simply to worship Him.
I'm not sure what that means  in a western Aristotelian philosophy, but it
means
something outside of that  confine.

You will find a short version of this story in  the book THE WORLD'S WISDOM
edited by by Philip Novak ( ISBN: 0060663421).   (This book is a companion to
Huston Smith's THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS.)

The  ending goes something like this: "You can be a Jew for God. You can be a
Jew  against God. But you can't be a Jew without God."

"Never attribute to malice that which can be

explained by incompetence and ignorance."

John Wager                _john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx)

                                   Lisle, IL, USA