[lit-ideas] Re: The Polites, the Barbaros, and the Doulos

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:32:08 EDT

R. Paul

"'Barbarian' was originally neutral; I don't think  Aristotle ever uses it
pejoratively. Athenians had no need for a supply  of barbarians.

'Natural slaves' (doulos) are discussed near the beginning of the Politics;
such people are slaves by nature, minimally rational, and minimally virtuous—
rational and virtuous only to the extent that they are capable of understanding
and carrying out the despotes' requests.

Natural slavery is different from legal slavery, e.g. captives and prisoners
of war who are set to work in the lead mines and elsewhere.  It was in
principle possible to escape from legal bondage."

Very interesting. So I would think that in the Grecian  scheme of things, you
were either 'citizen' (polites, full rights), or  'barbarian' (resident -- I
think they did have a term of 'resident barbarian'  but it escapes me),
'illegal barbarians, possibly, and 'doulos' (natural or  otherwise legal).

Given the poor state of Greek unification (which Geary  thinks a good thing
-- "The South Shall Rise Again") I will not be surprised  then that a former
Spartan (citizen) may find himself being a 'legal slave' (and  thus no longer a
'citizen' for an Athenian (citizen).

It was a good thing though that the Sparta/Athens war was  _won_ by Sparta
then.

Cheers,

JL
   author of "The Importance of Being Dorian --  and other essays on Greek
Post-Colonialism