[lit-ideas] Re: The Philosophy of As If

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:08:55 +0100

I wanted to write a little about Hans Vaihinger but (as is so often the case) time constraints interfere ... There are some offerings in English on the Internet, but I haven't time to do an exhaustive search and what I've found doesn't really do him justice (although the links below give part of the picture). Perhaps more later ... (I'll be absent for a while - that'll be covered in another post).

There's an interesting essay, "Hans Vaihinger's ghostly presence in contemporary literary studies" by Barry Stampfel, at:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2220/is_n3_v40/ai_21182132

And here's something which let's you know about Vaihinger's inestimable contribution in founding _Kant Studien_:

http://www.kant.uni-mainz.de/ks/history/adair-toteff.html

Cheers,
Chris Bruce,
packing his bags, in