[lit-ideas] The Philosophical Zoo

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:31:29 EST

Schrödinger's Cat Meets Buridan's Ass

The Writing on the Wall.

Jean Buridan's "Sophismata" on self-reference

McCreery is right about the Schroedinger Katz referring to this:

_http://www.quantonics.com/Fractal_Connection.html_
(http://www.quantonics.com/Fractal_Connection.html)
Classical Fractals as Classical Sophisms
Classical sophisms are self-referent and classically recursive. As we know
from our other work regarding Buridan's Sophismata, then, classical fractals
must be classical sophisms. Why? They are, when chaotic, classically
inconsistent! Buridan and Hughes classically agree that all contextually
inconsistent
propositions are FALSE! Also, we know that classical fractals  often
manufacture many (often self-similar) incommensurable islands of many  truths.
Buridan and Hughes these are sophisms and innately FALSE!
Saying sophisms "are FALSE" is equi-valent (analogous to) saying "quantum
reality is FALSE!"

Eric Yost:

>Not I. Just Jean Buridan on Self-Reference, trans Hughes, Cambridge  U
>Press, 1982

REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM:

Assume      --- "I know this: 'p & ~p' is  false."

If so,  "I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" is not a truth-valuable
proposition. And so not something you can ASSUME

PROOF:

    IMPOSSIBILITY OF ITS ASSERTION:

     "I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" is true  -----> a sentence conatining
the predicate 'false' would
                                                                  be known.

    IMPOSSIBILITY OF ITS NEGATION

    "I know this: 'p & ~p is false' " is false  -----> It is not the case
that I know this: 'p & ~p' is false"

COROLLARY:

      "It is the case that I know this: 'p &  ~p' is false" and "It is not
the case that I know this: 'p & ~p' is false"  would be equivalent.

QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM:

       "I know this: 'p & ~p' is  false" is not a proposition.

From

_http://www.science.uva.nl/~seop/archives/fall2002/entries/insolubles/notes.ht
ml#33_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~seop/archives/fall2002/entries/insolubles/notes.html#33)

SOPHISMA XIII:

‘Socrates knows the proposition  written on the wall to be doubtful to him’,

         where it is supposed that  this proposition is the only proposition
written on the wall,

        that Socrates sees it and is in  a state of doubt about its truth,
and furthermore

        knows he is in that  state of doubt. Is the proposition true or not?
Since it

        is stipulated that Socrates does  know that he doubts the
proposition,

        it would seem to be true.  But how can Socrates simultaneously

        know and doubt the same  proposition?

SOPHISMA XVIII:

Socrates wants to eat if and  only if Plato wants to eat, since

        Socrates likes company at meals.  But Plato is angry at Socrates and,

        out of perverse spite, wants to  eat if and only if Socrates does not
want

        to eat. Does Socrates want  to eat or not?"

products.