[lit-ideas] Re: The Philosopher's Show

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/1/2012 3:01:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx quotes from

TLP and PI with 'almost interchangeable' claims:

TLP:

‘[m]ost of the propositions and questions of philosophers arise from our
failure to understand the logic of our language’ (TLP 4.003)

PI: the problems that confront us in philosophy are rooted in  ‘a
misunderstanding of the logic of our language’ (PI 93).

---

If we restrict, 'the logic of our language' to -- the phenomenon of SAYING,
 we may want to play with

"the logic of "saying""

versus

"the logic of 'showing'"

----

There are a few of Witters's two favourite terms there: questions (the
philosopher's 'questions', and the idea that some of his questions may be
improper), problem (turned to 'pseudo-problems', as per Vienna Circle).

So, the idea would be to connect the

'say'/'show'

with the questions and the problems.

If the problem is not a pseudo-problem, the idea is that bringing in the
'show' SOLVES it.

------

Another point to consider is in the narrow view on 'showing'. The 'showing'
 that Wittgenstein is interested in is one that derives from the 'saying'
(S1 and  S2 as I used elsewhere). It's not showing _per se_ but showing
something related  to 'what is said'.

The point about the physical or natural science is clear enough in the TLP:
 hence aesthetics and ethics belong to the 'showing' rather than the
'saying'.  Quite a different view from empiricists and positivists that regard
them as  'expressions of emotion', rather -- yet expressed in the language of
imperatives.

----

If no such restriction to the natural or physical science (or world) is
presented in the PI, it's not clear what the realm of 'show' is to  provide.

It would seem that the TLP presents a view of the philosopher as commenting
 (and failing to supply anything important) about the natural or physical
world.  In PI, no such restricted view on the philosopher's task seems
obvious (the  philosopher would be interested in all sorts of idioms, and not
just
 scientific). In which case, there may be a difference as to the extension
of the  class of things that are shown in TLP and PI. Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza